The Roofing Alliance, celebrating 25 years as the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), announced the seven schools that will be participating in the 2021-22 Construction Management Student Competition.
A maximum of five finalist teams will be announced in early January 2022. These finalist teams will complete the final leg of the competition which is the oral presentations scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, at the 2022 International Roofing Expo (IRE) in New Orleans.
The schools that will be participating in this eighth annual event are:
- Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois; Adriana Diaz, Adam Sienkiewicz (team captain), Nicholas Williams, Victoria Urbanczyk; Faculty advisor is Dr. Souhail Elhour. Team mentor is Doug Duncan, Nations Roof, Villa Park, IL.
- California Polytechnic University; Chance Giessinger (alternate), Nathan Horst (team co-captain), Claire Peters, Nick Reeves, Steven Zheng (team co-captain); Faculty advisor is Dr. Jeong Woo; Team mentor is Rudy Gutierrez, Shell Roofing Solutions, Chino, CA.
- Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina.; Jackson Davis, Declan Fay (alternate), James Goodwin (team captain), Tristan Moseley, Allie Stark; Faculty advisor is Dr. Dhaval Gajjar. Team mentor is Will Fort, Bone Dry Roofing, North Charleston, SC.
- Colorado State University, Department of Construction Management, Fort Collins, Colorado; Kendall Carter (team captain), Dylan Smithwick, Mackenzie Voshage, Jack Wathen; Faculty advisor is Nick Rubino. Team mentor is Kent Nelson, Front Range Roofing Systems LLC, Greeley, CO.
- Minnesota State University–Mankato, Department of Construction Management, Mankato, Minnesota; Zach Ayers, Andrew McGinnis, Kyle Mickelsen (team captain), Brianna Peterson (alternate), Brock Reese; Faculty advisor is Brian Wasserman. Team Mentor is David Endres, Schwickert’s Tecta America of Mankato LLC, Mankato, MN.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas; Blake Bocchino, Kyle Cahill, Kyler Hardison (team captain), Canyon Martine, Alexia Palomares (alternate); Faculty advisor is Larry McGinn. Team Mentor is Mark Standifer, King of Texas Roofing Company, LP, Grand Prairie, Texas.
- University of Florida, M.E. Rinker, SR. School of Building Construction, Gainesville, Fla.; Ryan Freeman, Ansley Spofford (team captain), Avery Tyndall, John Zielinski; Faculty advisor is Jim Sullivan. Team Mentor is Rob Springer of Springer-Peterson Roofing + Sheet Metal Inc., Eaton Park, FL.
The Roofing Alliance construction management student competition is designed to test the students on their roofing knowledge, project management capabilities and presentation skills. This year, the teams are tasked with submitting a qualified bid package for a reroofing roof system on the Four Points Sheraton Hotel on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. The teams must research the project, review the plans and specifications, and assemble a full estimate and proposal to submit a qualified bid package.
The teams will submit their proposal packages by Nov. 19, 2021, to be reviewed by industry judges. A maximum of five finalist teams will be selected to travel to the IRE in New Orleans, where they will present their proposals as if they were presenting to the general contractor for the project on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022. Finalist teams will be announced in early January 2022.